Renovate

Don’t Give up on Your Lawn

Homeowners always wish that their lawn will be lush and green all year long. But when the season is so hot and the declared drought continues on, people tend to give up on their moisture-starved backyard. Well, don’t! There are still a few things that can be done to make those grasses green again.

Clark County, located in Southern Nevada, is experiencing a very dry, hot season. This has worried a lot of homeowners because it has resulted in withered trees and scorched lawns. There are already dry, brown areas and even entirely brown backyards or lawns heavily spotted with brown throughout the county.

It’s still summer and there are still drier and warmer months coming. Homeowners are looking for ways to further deal with this weather and to protect their lawns as the drought continues.

Washington State University Clark County Extension’s horticultural adviser, Charles Bun, stated that the best thing to do when it comes to protecting your lawn during the hot weather or even during drought is to plant more drought-tolerant grasses and plants. He also added that the bulk of one’s landscape or lawn should be located in a non-watering area.

These are a few of his tips that will help homeowners prevent the drying of their lawns:

  • Plant more perennial ryegrass. This grass, also known as Lolium perenne, is a competitive cool-season grass. It will take a temperature of 100 degrees Celsius for it to wither and die. Clark County has had two days with such temperature.
  • Divide the lawn into watering zones. Dividing the backyard into watering zones is one thing that Bun highly recommends. About 20% of the zone should be near the house wherein the flowers or plants that require frequent watering are located. The remaining 80% should be on the non-watering zone.
  • Know when and how to water. Bun shared a few ways when it comes to when and how to water. For a lawn to remain lush green throughout the summer season, the amount of water needed or recommended is about an inch every week. The horticultural adviser also added that even trees or shrubs resistant to drought, like Japanese maple trees, also need watering in order to keep them healthy and to help them survive. His technique when it comes to watering them is using a 5-gallon bucket, drilling a tiny hole in its side and then setting it next to the shrubs and trees as a very easy and cheap way to create a drip irrigation. Fill the bucket only once every week.
  • Try not to have a lot of flowers. Because flowers need constant watering, limiting them is the key. One good way of doing so is planting them in hanging baskets.

Your lawn may look dry and almost dying; you may feel devastated just by taking a quick look at it. But there’s hope for it; just don’t give up!

More about
Abe

Abe

Top Posts | Lawn, Garden & Landscaping

Don’t Give up on Your Lawn

Homeowners always wish that their lawn will be lush and green all year long. But when the season is so hot and the declared drought continues on, people tend to give up on their moisture-starved backyard. Well, don’t! There are still a few things that can be done to make those grasses green a ... ...

Homemade DIY Uses for Lavender

Cut lavender does not belong to the yard waste bin like other trash. In fact, it isn’t trash at all because there are a myriad of ways that you can use it. Be it the stems, the flowers, or both. Whenever you prune and trim your lavender plants to dry their beautiful purple flowers for body sc ... ...

How to Make Your Own Compost

As more homeowners turn to organic gardening, a compost pile will become necessary. Every home should use compost to enrich their soil and eliminate chemical fertilizers that are bad for their health and the environment. Furthermore, taking advantage of a compost pile in your garden will help lower ...

Pros And Cons Of A Green Roof

When the time comes for extensive roof repairs or replacement, you may be considering your options and wondering about a ‘green roof’.  What exactly is a ‘green roof’, and what are the advantages and disadvantages of taking this eco-friendly route?  Read on to find ... ...

Your Lawn Might Be Heat-stressed

Who doesn’t love a little sunshine in their life? The warmth of the summer sun makes everything look a more alive and vibrant than the dull and grey cold of the winter. People in many countries can't wait for the summer to come for this very reason, and cherish the summer heat.But there c ... ...

PlantLink Makes You a Smart Gardener

Not everyone is an expert gardener and we all need a little help now and then. Planting, maintaining, and watering your garden can be stressful at times, especially when trying to understand when it’s time to water or how much water to give your plants. This can take years of practice to get ... ...