Renovate

A New Coating to Cool Your Roof Down

Have you ever experienced feeling the scorching heat of the sun even inside your home? And no matter how high the settings of your air-conditioning unit, you still felt you were living on a planet that is just next to our galaxy’s fireball? Maybe it’s not the weather or the sun, maybe it’s your roof. Good thing there is a new coating that helps cool your home's roof.

After conducting a two-year study, the QUT (Queensland University of Technology) in Brisbane, Australia found out that a special coating can cool a roof down and help reduce about 30% of the air conditioning load. This is because the heat entering a house or a building has been reduced by the roof coating, resulting in a lesser temperature inside.

Architecture and Design, powered by Infolink, stated that the study paid particular attention to certain offices, schools, houses and retail spaces and monitored the temperature and electricity consumption. The two-year observation and research revealed that those particular buildings and structures have a special reflective white roof coating that can reflect almost 90% of the sun’s heat or energy.

The white roof paint is more effective in cooling down roofs compared to the standard or usual light colored roof which reflects less than 70%. A dark roof, on the other hand, can only reflect 30% or less of the sun’s heat.

The roof coating’s energy or heat reflecting ability or characteristic is made possible by using chemistry and color. In general, light colored materials reflect more sunbeams compared to dark colored ones. They also absorb less energy or heat making them cooler than darker materials.

With the application of the special white roof paint on about 16 buildings and after monitoring the electricity usage and temperature, QUT was able to determine that there are temperature reductions in the following areas:

  • Roof surface
  • Roof cavity
  • Internal spaces without air-conditioning units

Professor John Bell, the head of QUT’s School of Chemistry, Physics and Mechanical Engineering, stated that using cooling roof paint is simple yet extraordinary. Electricity usage or consumption was significantly reduced enabling people to save a great deal of money. He further stated that about two decades ago, installing an air-conditioning unit is cheap, but today, painting the roof with white is definitely more cost-effective and eco-friendly.

With this new reflective roof paint, people will no longer feel the heat inside their homes or offices. They will no longer turn the air-conditioning unit to the highest level, thus, reducing energy consumption.

More about
Abe

Abe

Top Posts | Windows & Doors | Roofing & Flooring

Solar Powered Windows Are Here

Nature is completely sustainable on its own; it always has been. Everything that nature takes away is replaced with something else, and the cycles of natural life continues to work flawlessly.This is the reason human beings have been trying so hard to harness the power of nature, especially since w ...

How to Spot Roofing Scams

With any contractor you hire for your home repair and installation needs, you want to make sure they are on the up and up. Besides performing your due diligence, or getting referrals from people you trust, it’s wise to know the tell-tale signs that you might be dealing with an unseemly roofin ... ...

A New Coating to Cool Your Roof Down

Have you ever experienced feeling the scorching heat of the sun even inside your home? And no matter how high the settings of your air-conditioning unit, you still felt you were living on a planet that is just next to our galaxy’s fireball? Maybe it’s not the weather or the sun, maybe i ... ...

Which Roofing Types Are Best and Why

The average lifetime of a roof is anywhere from 15 to 50 years, so it’s not an area most people are familiar with. If your shingles are past their prime and you know you’ll need a new roof soon, here’s a brief tutorial about the types of roofing materials for the typical American ... ...

A Good Reason to Install Solar Panels

With environmental matters becoming ever more important each day, renewable forms of energy are becoming more popular. Solar panels are not only used by businesses looking to do their part for the environment, but they can also be spotted on the tops of houses everywhere as individual homeowners se ...