16 Ideas for an Attractive, Organized and Efficient Laundry Room
Laundry is sometimes an overwhelming chore that is dreaded by some. A well organized, attractive laundry room may decrease the desire to procrastinate on laundry day. Even the youngest family members may decide to pitch-in and help with the chore. The following sixteen ideas for upgrading a laundry room will improve function, efficiency and add some style.
- A laundry shoot is convenient for multi-level homes.
- Add a large laundry sink to hand wash delicates, soak soiled uniforms or work clothes, and pretreat stains.
- A full size ironing board mounted to the wall is handy for smoothing out wrinkles.
- Attach an island or counter over the washer and dryer to aid with folding clothes.
- Consider a garment steamer for items that should not be ironed.
- Coordinating bins will help you organize small items, such as starch, wrinkle remover spray, stain remover, laundry brush, measuring cup and other laundry essentials.
- Good task lighting is important. Consider a light strip for under the upper cabinets, a ceiling fixture to brighten the overall room and lighting for specific work zones.
- Hanging racks are excellent for air drying delicate clothing articles and hanging trousers and other easily wrinkled clothes straight from the dryer.
- Insert a clothing repair drawer to hold buttons, thread, elastic, snaps, needles, scissors and other sewing supplies.
- Laundry sorting bins with rollers are a must for a busy household.
- New energy efficient washers and dryers will decrease the monthly power bill and require less water.
- Pretty canisters for dry detergent or a glass pitcher for liquid detergent adds a chic touch to any laundry room.
- Select a cheerful but calming paint color for the laundry room that blends well with the remainder of the house.
- Available storage cabinets are awesome for being able to tidy the laundry room quickly.
- Washer and dryer pedestals raise the machines to a comfortable height and double as storage drawers.
- Water resistant flooring is a fantastic choice for a laundry room for durability and ease of cleaning.
Photo courtesy of 100414 Cardboard Laundry by Ricky Tickartt at Flickr Creative Commons.